The starting point for any design is the design brief. The brief outlines what problem a design will solve. It should be referred to throughout the project to make sure what you are working on will solve this problem.
All designs fall into specific design areas. These include product design, graphic communication, textile and fashion, architecture, environmental design, interior design and jewellery.
Each area has different demands and will raise different questions around:
When deciding on a design area you should consider the following:
- your skill level and experience
- the materials and equipment available to you
- whether this is an area that interests you
A successful brief
Whatever your design area, for the design brief to be successful you need to make sure that it:
- describes a problem that will hold your interest
- is something you are confident you can produce a response to
- will challenge your skills