Start Here: Background Reading
- Multi-process Architecture: Describes the high-level architecture of Chromium
Note: Most of the rest of the design documents assume familiarity with the concepts explained in this document.
- How Blink works is a high-level overview of Blink architecture.
- The “Life of a Pixel” talk (slides / video) is an introduction to Chromium’s rendering pipeline, tracing the steps from web content to displayed pixels.
- [somewhat outdated] How Chromium Displays Web Pages: Bottom-to-top overview of how WebKit is embedded in Chromium
Also see the documentation for
- UI Development Practices: Best practices for UI development inside and outside of Chrome’s content areas.
- Views framework: Our UI layout layer used on Windows/Chrome OS.
- views Windowing system: How to build dialog boxes and other windowed UI using views.
- Aura: Chrome’s next generation hardware accelerated UI framework, and the new ChromeOS window manager built using it.
- NativeControls: using platform-native widgets in views.
- Focus and Activation with Views and Aura.
See also the documentation for
GYP, which is the build script generation tool.
- Chrome OS
- Mac OS X
Full listing of all sub-pages: