For many people around the world, fashion education means just one thing: FIT. Our
Fashion Design program—one of FIT’s original degree programs—has been preparing students for success at every level, from haute couture to ready-to-wear
to mass market, for 65 years.
The program keeps evolving along with fashion itself, but some FIT traditions are
forever: First, our close ties to the industry let us immerse you in what’s happening
now in this fast-changing field. And our own brand of fashion education nurtures your
creativity while providing a rigorous grounding in the practical and technical skills
needed for career success, exposing you to the real demands and practices of the fashion
You’ll learn the fundamentals of professional draping, patternmaking, and sewing techniques.
You’ll master computer-aided design (CAD), and learn how to take a design from concept
to finished garment. This singular program guides you to become not only a designer
with your own creative vision, but a professional prepared to take your place in this
- Located on New York’s Seventh Avenue—also known as Fashion Avenue—FIT has been a part
of the fashion industry since 1944.
- Faculty members are seasoned professionals with current experience, opening doors
to the industry.
- Top designers serve as critics, helping students create an outfit to present in an
on-campus exhibition (AAS) or the annual student runway show, the Future of Fashion (BFA). Critics have included Carolina Herrera, Norma Kamali, Gemma Kahng, Calvin
Klein, and Bob Mackie.
- The CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America), Cotton Incorporated, and Lululemon
Athletica are among many sponsors of student competitions that provide opportunity
- An internship at a leading fashion house gives you experience and valuable connections. Internship
sites have included Donna Karan, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger, among
In this program, you will:
- connect with industry leaders at guest lectures and industry events, and build a network
of valuable contacts.
- find inspiration at The Museum at FIT, where you will study its world-class collection of couture, designer, and historical
garments close up.
- have the opportunity to study abroad. Programs include the unique International Fashion Design degree that allows first-year students to begin their studies in Italy.
What to Do If Your Oil Tank Is Leaking
Parnassus Research and Academic Building Design and Site Improvements Move Forward
Consider 3 popular design trends when designing your dream home